Thursday, July 25, 2024

Our First Lady President

Being a woman myself that has had to hold up, represent, and salvage. The oldest existing criminal justice, voting rights and prisoner rights organization in the world T.O.P.S. The Ordinary People Society. I am proud to see Kamala Harris even being considered for the Democratic nominee for President. I was appalled to see that they still allowed Trump to continue as a candidate with 34 felony convictions. The way the Republican party vehemently went against my Husband when he won the lawsuit against the state of Alabama ( Glasgow vs State of Alabama). In 2008 that allows people with felony convictions to vote in and out or prison. Then also when he got with Secretary of State John Merrell and got the crimes of moral turpetude defined in 2017. Now we have a bill that is trying to add more felonies to a list of moral turpetude crimes that has long been defined by my Husband years ago. But here 30 years later for T.O.P.S. being founded, seeing the same people that spoke so ugly and dehumanizing to people with felony convictions. To accept a person that has 34 felonies to run for the highest office in America 😮 is shocking. Or is it? 

Maybe it's just exposing our system that has been double standardized throughout history. Let's take a real hard look at the basis for all these draconian laws in the first place. When I talk to my husband who is incarcerated in Federal prison at this time. He tells me that he has met some very interesting friends. That we would call January 6ers, but he now calls them, fellow people with convictions. He said that they tell him everyday how they apologize to him for going against him. How they thought that all the stories he use to tell people about on his radio show Pastor Kenneth Sharpton Glasgow " It Is RAW ". They thought he was lying, and just speaking alot of falsehoods about how the system is. They would then tell him honestly that they actually felt like, and knew without a doubt, that all those laws were made for black folks, not for them. My husband said his reply was, that if we would have been black folks going up to that capitol, what do you think would have happened? But the bigger question is are you all willing to tell your families and friends the truth now that it has happened to y'all to? They said they are more than ready to do so. 

I grew up in Seattle Washington with more white people than black. We didn't see any color there. We just seen people. When I came here I noticed a drastic change, but mostly toward black men. Now I see it more towards black women than ever before. Especially since Kamala Harris has been suggested for the Democratic nominee for President.  I have son's and daughter's that I love, cherish  and adore. I have talked to my older sons and so has their father. Not only warning them but making them aware of their actions should they ever get stopped by the police. My husband has been amazing as a father teaching our children all of his rights and wrongs to give them a very rounded view of this world. Our family is mixed with all colors you can name. And with me being a dark skinned Black woman, I am very careful in teaching my children how to treat other human beings.

However when my 9 year old daughter, and 14 year old son. Not to mention my other children ask me why are people talking against us like that. Why is it different for our black people than our white friends. Why is our Father and other people in prison for helping people, while Mr Trump has 34 felonies and running for president.

 If this world is like this now Moma, then what will they be doing to us? The problem is that I have to tell my children the truth. THAT ITS ALREADY HAPPENING TO THEM! They are already affected by these laws and critical race theories, 504's and private education for some and no support and resources for others. I have to tell them the truth when they see a woman call the police for help and she gets shot in the face by the police.

Somebody said that America is not ready for a Woman President. But when the guy that is running brags that he is the  one that took away Roe vs Wade, and we are in the post wake of Breanna Taylor and the present wake of Sonya Massey Along with all those in between Sean Bell, Travon Martin and George Floyd. Yes I KNOW that we are ready for a woman President, and some motherly love and compassion.

Written by 

Rodreshia Russaw Sharpton Glasgow

No comments: